We have thirty years of experience in family and relationship therapy. We teach healthy parenting skills especially with difficult adolescents and young adults. We help families deal with addiction as well as depression and anxiety that affect the family system
GOALS IN COUNSELING ADDICTED FAMILIES
Getting out of the family trap of chemical dependency cannot be done alone. Family members can benefit greatly from the guidance and support of other people who understand. Participation in Dr. Paul Standal’s family programs, combined with Al-Anon and Alateen, is a great beginning.
1. Help substance dependent person own the negative effects of their behavior on children, family and extended family.
2. Accommodate therapy to youth and family view of therapeutic relationship.
3. Accommodate therapy to your and family members’ goals and motivation levels.
4. Discuss the issue openly and early. This may be the first time you have acknowledged it to yourselves.
5. You and the family are a part of the assessment and treatment planning.
6. Dr. Standal will focus on resilience and strengths in the family as well as the challenges to healthy relating. Internal strengths, resilience, protective factors, and coping skills.
7. Give legitimate family roles back to each family member.
8. Empower the family to get help, even though the addict may refuse.
9. Strengthen boundaries and encourage individual growth.
10. Teach family to detach from the substance dependent person’s needs and look to their own needs.
11. Teach family boundaries. Protect personal and family space and create consistent activities.
12. Teach limit setting. Model limit setting. Help individuals take back control of their lives..
13. Teach that family is not alone. There is help in the community. Introduce to self-help groups. One out of every four people has been impacted by chemical dependency.
14. Teach collaboration and outcome-oriented therapy.
15. Client is the most important agent of change. A change orientation.
16. Change as a natural phenomenon. Changing focus on your problem will guarantee change.
17. Build expectancy and hope.
18. Emphasize present and future without downplaying the significance of the past in client’s eyes.
19. Vision of the future will have an effect on present and past.
20. Tap into present events and spontaneous changes. Link it to pro-social goals.
Use this form to find things you need on this site