We have thirty years of experience in family and relationship therapy. We teach healthy parenting skills especially with difficult adolescents and young adults. We help families deal with addiction as well as depression and anxiety that affect the family system
FAMILY THERAPY WITH ADOLESCENTS
The overall purpose of family therapy is to connect with adolescents in order to help them launch successfully into young adulthood. Family therapy helps the family overcome resentments, clarify and resolve issues, integrating tools and skills learned in session to change the family’s dynamics.
The Family Therapist
1. Identifies obstacles to clear harmonious family boundaries.
2. Deals with the issues that interfere with open communication and honest self-expression.
3. Resolves those “wedge issues” that directly interfere with harmonious family relationships.
4. Honors the therapeutic relationship and alliance.
5. Encourages youth and family members’ perceptions in an empathic, non-judgmental manner.
6. Accommodates therapy to youth and family views of therapeutic relationship.
7. Accommodates therapy to the family members’ goals and motivation levels.
8. Encourages and reinforces clients’ participation in treatment.
9. Maximizes strengths, increase coping skills, and self-soothing skills.
10. Provides structure in therapy to reduce obstacles to change.
11. Provides corrective interpersonal experience.
12. Helps modify attitudinal biases.
13. Provides training in problem solving and social skills.
14. Clarifies rules and expectations.
15. Develops clear consequences for rules and expectations.
16. Promotes cohesion, warmth and positive interactions.
17. Interrupts negative cycles.
18. Highlights consequences of negative peer groups.
19. Helps parents reinforce involvement with non-deviant peers.
20. Helps increase positive/responsible behaviors and interaction.
Use this form to find things you need on this site